Thursday, June 21, 2007

Insurance coverage "heaven" and "hell", or "hell" and then "heaven"

On a dark, and starless night back in 2001, I was driving my Saturn eclipse back home after a very long, as well as very tiring business trip. I'm a lower level executive assistant for a popular retail company, and I am often required to go along with my bosses to their meetings.

Unfortunately, this one was out of state. My immediate supervisor told me that there simply was not enough company travel funds in the yearly budget available to afford to give me a plane ticket along with all of the executives that were given plane tickets. They decided to upgrade to first class from business class at the last minute. This left me on the losing end, and I was forced to have to drive 200 miles round trip.

Anyway, on the way back I was hit by a careless drunk driver. My car was utterly destroyed, so to speak. I filed an insurance claim, after the police gave me his insurance information.

The drunk driver was sent to alchohol rehab, and hopefully he will be able to stay sober after he gets out. I submitted the insurance claim to my car insurance company. They tried to say that I don't have coverage for getting hit by another car. I pleaded with them that it was his fault, and that his insurance should be held liable. They persisted in their denial of my claim.

decided to challenge the denial in court. I luckily have a cousin who is a lawyer. We took the insurance company to court, and the judge found them liable for having to see to it that the drunk driver's insurance company bought me a new car. My old car had 60,000 miles on it, albeit I just bought it new three years ago.I was actually bought an even better car model than the one that I originally had, as well.

My experience should prove that the "little guy or person" can fight big insurance companies in court that deny legitimate claims, and win.

No comments: